Wednesday, August 21, 2019
Reasonable Accommodations

Are you, or a person who living with you in public housing, a person with disabilities? If so, then you have the right to request modifications to the Housing Authority's policies, or to a housing unit, that would allow you or your household member equal access to enjoy the programs and services that the HA offers.  Your rights to these changes, also called "reasonable accommodations", are explained on this page.

If you wish to request a reasonable accommodation, please print and complete this form and return it to the Housing Authority.

If you have additional questions, please contact the Housing Authority's Reasonable Accommodations Coordinator, Kim Shannon, at 270-887-4275 ext. 1105.

To request a work order for maintenance in your unit, please complete the short form below and click submit.  The maintenance department will be contacted and your work order will be scheduled based on the maintenance department's work load, usually within 1-2 business days.

Work orders placed through this website outside of regular business hours will not be received by Housing Authority staff until the next business day.  Please do not use this form to report an emergency!  For emergency work orders, contact your property manager.  If the emergency is after 4:30 p.m. or on a weekend, call 887-4275.  When the recording begins, press 1 and then 1 again to reach our answering service.

Request a Maintenance Work Order
By submitting this form, you authorize our maintenance staff to enter your unit and complete the work you've requested, even if no one is at home.